maintaining a quality of life
If your illness is in its later stages, our palliative care team can provide support and care to you, your relatives and your carers.
We aim to maintain quality of life, provide relief from pain and distressing symptoms, and help you to live as normally and fully as possible.
Our team includes specialist palliative care consultants, clinical nurse specialists and palliative medicine consultants. Together, they provide:
- advice and support on the management of symptoms, including pain, nausea and vomiting, fatigue and breathlessness
- psychological support and advice for you, your family and carers
- spiritual and cultural support
- advice on social and financial issues
- planning support for discharge, liaising closely with health and social care teams in the local community
Our palliative care team works closely with our other experts, including our psychology team, therapy teams, the chaplaincy, dieticians, welfare benefits, social services and community partners.
Maggie’s & Macmillan charity support services
Maggie’s, a charity offering free emotional, practical and social support to people with cancer and their family and friends, has a centre within the grounds of Charing Cross Hospital. The centre is run independently from our hospitals.
At both Charing Cross and Hammersmith hospitals, there is a wide range of Macmillan Cancer Support information available and an adviser if needed. A drop-in service is available during working hours.
The Trust works closely with Macmillan Cancer Support and Maggie’s centre to focus on positive patient outcomes and experiences.