Maternity support services
Back up support services for your peace of mind
We want the arrival of your child to be a positive experience, but sometimes babies develop problems unexpectedly and need a little extra attention.
Being linked to a major NHS hospital means our team has the expertise and capacity to respond quickly to any complication, offering the best chance of the safe delivery of your baby. Our service includes:
- 24 hour around the clock back up support from all medical specialisms on site
- Expertise from world-class consultants that can support you if you have an existing or discovered medical condition during pregnancy
- Access to 24-hour neonatal units, with 25 intensive care cots and 20 special care cots available
- The capacity to support the most extreme premature births (23 weeks gestation at Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea)
- Expertise in caring for babies with a birth weight under 1,500 grams
- A dedicated neonatal MRI scanner at Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea Hospital
- Access to the Centre for Fetal Care at Queen Charlotte’s & Chelsea Hospital, which specialises in looking after high-risk babies and mothers with high-risk pregnancies.
High risk or multiple pregnancies
Our consultants and midwives also have the expertise to support you if you have had previous miscarriages, a pre-term delivery, expecting a multiple birth or if your pregnancy is considered high-risk.
We have the right experts on site to look after you if you have an existing disease or condition or one developed during pregnancy, including:
- cardiac problems
- digestive problems
- hypertension/high blood pressure
- kidney problems
- neurological problems
- renal impairment
- respiratory problems
- thyroid disorders.
If you have any of these or other complications, our hospitals can call upon expert colleagues to ensure that the appropriate care and treatment is put in place as part of your birth plan. We have consultants available with a wealth of expertise to care for you throughout your pregnancy, labour and birth.
We also have a specialist service to support you if you have recurrent miscarriages or early pregnancy concerns.