Loading...

The Lindo Wing at St Mary’s Hospital

The Lindo Wing provides the highest quality of care for surgical, medical and obstetric patients.

As well as our world-renowned maternity services, the unit also specialises in a range of complex and robotic surgeries including trauma, weight loss, vascular, gynaecology, urology, ear, nose and throat, and general surgery.

A private paediatric service is available at St Mary’s Hospital for certain specialities, including our internationally recognised haematology service. We offer private outpatient facilities, dedicated operating theatres, modern, private en-suite rooms and day case rooms.

Hotel services are provided by our dedicated hotel services team. Our extensive and nutritious menu caters for special dietary, cultural and religious requirements (including vegetarian, kosher and halal meals). All meals are prepared in dedicated kitchens within the Lindo Wing.

For more information on our maternity services please visit The Lindo Wing – Maternity page.

Search consultants at this hospital

Quality scores

Our team provide the highest levels of care as supported by feedback from our patients

Lead nurse

Your modern matron is: Gay Jordaan
Quality scores as of: August 2018
Next update: November 2018

Improving our service

In response to your feedback we have made the following changes this quarter:

We have recently appointed a new service manager to maintain and improve the quality of the service that we deliver. By listening to patients both through our discharge survey and through focus groups we hope to continually improve our service in line with our patients’ expectations and requirements.

This page is next due to be updated: November 2018

If you would like more information about our quality scores, please email: gay.jordaan@nhs.net

Friends and family test

100%

of patients who visited our outpatient’s department said they would recommend Imperial Private Healthcare to friends & family.

100%

of patients who were admitted to Lindo 1 ward said they would recommend Imperial Private Healthcare to friends & family.

96%

of patients who were admitted into Lindo 2 ward said they would recommend Imperial Private Healthcare to friends & family.

Infection rates

MRSA Bacteraemia – no cases since records began in 2011

C Diff – no cases since records began in 2011

The Lindo Wing was opened in 1937 as a ‘paybed’ or private patients’ wing for ‘patients of moderate means’. At that time, before the establishment of the NHS, St Mary’s was a voluntary hospital, a charity for the treatment of ‘the deserving poor’. Wealthier people would pay for private medical treatment either at home or in a private nursing home. However, there was a gap which needed to be filled for people who were too well off to be treated in a voluntary hospital but could not afford more expensive private treatment or nursing at home or in a private nursing home.

The money to build The Lindo Wing was donated by an ‘anonymous benefactor’ although the new wing was named after him. The memorial plaque just within the entrance reads:

“This is to remind everyone of an Anonymous Donor, who was not unmindful of his neighbours’ needs. His gifts, sympathy and understanding made possible the erection and equipment of this building for the relief of sickness and suffering. It was opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth on 10 November 1937, and will remain for all time a monument of his outstanding generosity.”

Frank Charles Lindo was a wealthy businessman who was also a member of the Board of Management of St Mary’s Hospital. The architect of The Lindo Wing was Sir Edward Cooper, who also designed the existing medical school buildings and Salton House as a nurses’ home.

When first opened, The Lindo Wing had 66 beds and charged seven guineas a week plus professional fees for consultant services, radiology, pathology tests and massage. The first patients were admitted on 22 November 1937.

After the National Health Service assumed control of St Mary’s on 5 July 1948, all hospital services were available to everyone irrespective of means. The Lindo Wing now took on a role in providing for private hospital care and became very popular with members of society, politicians and entertainers.

The then prime minister, Clement Attlee, was a patient in The Lindo Wing during negotiations with members of his Cabinet over the introduction of NHS charges for prescriptions, spectacles and dental treatment in 1951. He held meetings from his hospital bed with the Minister of Labour and former Minister of Health, Aneurin Bevan, and the President of the Board of Trade, Harold Wilson, who were both to resign over the issue. Mr Attlee was an NHS patient but was given a room in The Lindo Wing so he could hold meetings with members of his government in private and so that press and public interest in him would not affect the privacy of other patients on the general wards.

Sir George Pinker, royal gynaecologist and obstetrician from 1973 until 1990, was responsible for moving royal births from palaces to a hospital setting. He delivered nine royal babies in The Lindo Wing, including the children of Her Royal Highness Princess Anne (the Princess Royal), the Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Michael of Kent and Diana Princess of Wales.

Sir George had been obstetrician and gynaecologist at St Mary’s since 1958. His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales was born in The Lindo Wing on 21 June 1982 and His Royal Highness Prince Henry of Wales (Prince Harry) was born there on 15 September 1984.

On 22 July 2013 His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge was born in The Lindo Wing to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte of Cambridge was also born at the site on 2 May 2015, followed by her brother, His Royal Highness Prince Louis of Cambridge on 23 April 2018.